Electrical Safety Tips for the Home By Atlantic/Smith, Cropper & Deeley 5/19/2016 The amount of electricity in the average home is enough to cause serious injury and death, and, according to the National Fire Protection Association, there are 50,000 electrical home fires every year. That’s why it’s so important to take electrical safety seriously in your home. Here are some tips to stay safe around electricity: Avoid overloading electrical outlets by only plugging in one high-wattage appliance at a time. Make sure that cords don’t create tripping hazards. Check electrical cords for damage before you plug them in. Cords that are even slightly damaged can lead to electrocutions and fires. Place light fixtures on an even surface, and away from flammable materials. Also be sure to use bulbs that match the fixtures’ recommended wattage. Don’t use electrical appliances like music players and hair dryers near water. Consider having a certified electrical technician install more outlets in your home if you find yourself using extension cords frequently. Also, if there are small children in your home, consider installing outlets that are only powered when an electrical appliance is plugged in. Keep in mind that appliances that are turned off are still connected to electricity until they are unplugged. Unplug appliances from outlets by pulling on the plastic head, not the cord itself. Always unplug an appliance before cleaning or repairing it. I myself overuse my phone charger, it starts to unravel right at the connection point. After a small accident I made sure not only to stop using it when the cord frays but to throw that charger away! I also leaves my coffee pot off but plugged in, because I really like that it has a clock on it. I do have it plugged in to a GFI outlet though so hopefully that is some small protection.